Winter Generator Safety Tips
By: Old Point National Bank / 13 Feb 2019
In the event of a power outage this winter, it's important to remain safe while using a portable generator. Here are a few tips from the National Fire Protection Association!
- Generators should be used in well-ventilated locations outside, away from doors, windows and vent openings.
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
- Position generators so that exhaust fumes can't enter your home through windows, doors or other openings.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors in your home installed according to manufacturer instructions.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it's hot.
- Store generator fuel in a properly labeled container intended for fuel storage. Store such containers outside living areas.