Foundation Check: 5 Things To Watch For Before Buying
When shopping for a home, always look closely at the home's foundation. Structural foundation repair can cost $20,000 or more. Here's how you can detect foundation issues on your own.
- Does it smell like mold or mildew? If so, it could be caused by a foundation leak.
- Is the chimney leaning or tilting? There could be cracks in the foundation outside or in the brickwork.
- Look for cracks in the driveway, garage door, and concrete patios.
- Look for signs of water damage in the basement, such as peeling paint and chalky deposits left after water dries.
- If doors or windows stick when opening or closing, there could be foundation damage.
If you see any of these issues, have a licensed home inspector thoroughly inspect the foundation. This can prevent any surprise foundation repair charges upon moving into your dream home.