Protect Your Home During Extreme Cold Weather!
By: Old Point Bank / 03 Jan 2018
When freezing weather, snow, and ice hit your area, here are some ways to protect both you and your home!
How To Deal With Frozen Pipes
- Close or cover foundation vents under your house and any windows to basements.
- Close garage doors.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks and drip both hot and cold faucets in your kitchen and bathrooms.
- If any pipes have frozen but not yet burst, use a hair dryer, heat lamp, or a portable space heater to thaw them.
How To Keep Warm In Your Home
- Keep drapes and blinds closed, except when windows are in direct sunlight.
- Cover or remove any window air conditioners.
- Run ceiling fans on low in reverse (clockwise when looking up) to circulate warm air.
- Put draft snakes on window sills, between window frames, and against doors.
Protect the Outside of Your Home
- Check air pressure in tires, since cold weather causes the pressure to lower.
- Bring in container plants and cover those that are prone to frost damage.
- Drain birdbaths and fountains.
- Use rock salt, sand, or clay based kitty litter on walks and drives (Note: Salt can damage grass and other plants.)