Spring Gardening Safety Tips
By: Old Point National Bank / 17 Apr 2019
Spring is here and that means warmer weather, more time outdoors and – if you're a green thumb – more time gardening! Here are a few tips to help you stay safe and accident-free this Spring.
- Always store chemicals in a garage or garden safely out of sight and out of reach of children. This will help avoid poisoning and chemical burns.
- Use gloves, goggles, helmet, face mask and safety shoes when doing DIY tasks to avoid accidents and injury.
- Keep sharp garden tools in good repair and safely tidied away after each use.
- Always use ladders at a safe angle and check their condition before use to avoid falls.
- Follow manufacturers' instructions when using weed killers, adhesives and solvents. This can prevent accidental poisoning or injuries to yourself or others.
- Prevent injury from trips, slips and falls by providing safety rails and barriers to changes in garden levels. Ensure all paths and steps are level and stable.