Summer Water Safety Tips!
By: Old Point Bank / 06 Jun 2018
Summer officially starts this month and with it comes outdoor water fun, whether at the beach or pool. Here are a few tips that will help you stay safe so you can have a great Summer season!
- Adults should stay within arm's reach of young children and newer swimmers.
- Wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket at all times when on a boat and if in a situation beyond your skill level.
- Everyone should swim in pairs in areas protected by lifeguards, even experienced swimmers.
- Protect your neck – don't dive headfirst.
- Walk carefully into open waters. Watch out for and avoid aquatic life.
- If you're caught in a rip current, try not to panic. Signal to those on shore that you need help. Swim parallel to the shore until you are out of the current. Once free, swim toward shore. If you can't, float or tread water until you're free of the rip current.